Ayurveda is a traditional Vedic system of medicine with a history of more than 5,000 years which focuses on the prevention and management of illness by incorporating principles that relate the human body and its processes to the principles of nature.
By adjusting our diet along with seasonal transitions we can prevent build up of ama or toxins in the body and thrive all year round. Without these toxins we can keep our tissues healthy, improve energy and immunity and avoid disease.
There is no one size fits all in Ayurveda medicine, we learn from nature and align our own bodies to what gives us more energy, makes us feel better and gives us emotional and mental clarity.
Winter is the ideal season for nourishing the seven tissue layers of the body and building up our internal fire to nourish us and protect us from the cold.
7 tips for Autumn and Winter Immune Boosting Tips
1. Cooler months are the perfect time to practice self care, immunity is strengthened through rest so make sure you are getting enough sleep, and avoid over sleeping
2. Eat warm foods that are light like sweet root vegetables, broths and soups. Avoid sweet and fried foods that are difficult to digest
3. Avoid cold foods and drinks that will reduce your inner digestive fire
4. Take warm Epsom salt baths with warm essential oils like ginger, eucalyptus, rosemary, cedar and basil
5. Use warming spices in your food like ginger, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon
6. Take warming and energising exercise that will enhance circulation and build strength like yoga, hiking and walking
7. Start a daily self massage practice with warming oils like sesame and sunflower to strengthen your skin and nourish muscles and tissues